Lyminge is a thriving community of 3 villages (Lyminge, Rhodes Minnis and Etchinghill) and lies within the Elham Valley, about five miles north of Folkestone 12 miles south of Canterbury and 14 miles from Dover. This is a vibrant village community supported by an excellent primary school, post office, library, hairdresser, village pub, coffee shop, doctor surgeries, pharmacy, grocery stores, Chinese restaurant and many other shops and services.
The Nailbourne stream rises in Lyminge and flows north through the Valley, to become one of the tributary streams of the Great Stour. There is an extensive network of footpaths around our village which are clearly waymarked. You can also roam through Lyminge Forest, an area of 440 acres of mixed woodland on Forestry Commission land which is one of the few remaining refuges for an unusually rich diversity of wildlife.
The Lyminge Association is an organisation run by volunteers to promote activities within our villages and aid its development. Each month it produces the free Lyminge Newsletter that is delivered by volunteers to every home in Lyminge, Rhodes Minnis, Etchinghill and Postling. This newsletter contains copious details of the various events, clubs and local businesses within the area. Like this web link, there is a list of all Clubs and Societies, and the relevant contact names and telephone numbers at the Library and on the Parish Council website: www.lymingepc.kentparishes.gov.uk
Lyminge is very fortunate to have the Jubilee Centre, home of the local Age UK which offers a wide range of activities and services to older people in an area covering some 60 square miles of rural countryside.
Lyminge in times gone by
Our history is celebrated in the two village signs in Lyminge found at each end of the village on Station and Canterbury Roads. The design shows Queen Ethelburga, daughter of Ethelbert, King of Kent, and behind her is a steam engine emerging from the Parish Church.
The Parish Church (St Mary and St Ethelburga), is the oldest building in the village. It has stood since 633AD and is still very active in the community. It has a rich and varied history which can be read on their website: www.lymingechurch.co.uk
The Pilgrims Way, originally the trade route from Dover to Stonehenge, is now recognised as travelling from Winchester to Canterbury Cathedral with an extended spur from north of Wye through Folkestone to Dover. The trackway passes the magnificent viewpoint of Farthing Common through the Postling Downs and south of Etchinghill’s Tolsford and Summerhouse Hills.
The Elham Valley Railway ran from Canterbury to Folkestone through the village from 1887 until eventually closing in 1947. The station building remains in use as the Library.
In 1953 a discovery by workmen led to the discovery of a 6th century Jutish cemetery that contained 44 graves which contained a lot of high status jewellery, weapons such as spear-heads, swords and shield bosses and some rare glass claw beakers of exceptional quality and condition.
Lyminge has seen a lot of archaeological work over the years and there is currently a series of excavations being led by Dr Gabor Thomas of Reading University, which has already extended the knowledge of Anglo-Saxon Lyminge. Read all about it on their website: http://www.reading.ac.uk/archaeology/research/Lyminge/
Below is a three minute documentary on the 2013 dig on Tayne Field: